When the University of Kolozsvár moved to Szeged in 1922, the city of Szeged donated a land of 20 kh area to the University for creating the Botanic Garden. It was the founding director, István Győrffy, who started to populate the Garden with plants, mainly from his collecting trips. In 1928 an artesian well was built, in 1929-30 the first greenhouse was completed, and in 1931 the first lake was created. Int he same year the first seed exchange catalogue (Index Seminum) was published. In 1932 lotus plants arrived from the lake of the Návay Castle in Óföldeák-Gencshát, which are still one of the main attractions of the Garden. Unfortunately the stand in Óföldeák has since been destroyed. In 1940 Professor Pál Greguss became the director of the Garden. It was he who created the educational collections (rose garden, rock garden, arboretum, taxonomical collection) and also brought the first Metasequoia trees to the Garden. Between 1952 and 1958, he had greenhouses built where the tropical utility plants are on display.