The mediaeval church was transformed to be a mosque by the Turkish. Following the Turkish era the building was given to the Augustine friars and they started the reconstruction in 1702. It was again rebuilt after the fire of 1750. The polygonal, arched sanctuary, the vaulted chapel adjoining from the south, the organ loft and the tower were built at this time. The church has one nave. The vestry room was built in 1935. The "Sorrowful Virgin" altar is the work of the Viennese master Martin Fischer from the 18th century. Most of the wall paintings were created in 1936. The frescos of the middle wall of the sanctuary were created by Ernő Gebauer in 1941, the paintings on the two sides are the works of Emil Gádor. The Baroques paintings of the side altar are also noteworthy. The ciborium decorated with fine carvings was created in 1727. The west façade of the church is decorated by niche-statues, and this is where the tower rises from. There are three Turkish windows on the south façade.
Since September 2004 music is played from the tower of the Catholic church on Ágoston square.
The glockenspiel played here was one of the most ceremonious songs of the miners, well known all over Europe in the 19th-20th century as a miners' hymn.