King Saint Stephen established the Bishopric of Pécs in 1009. It must have been an important factor in selecting the venue that a church used to stand here earlier that had been consecrated by Bishop Liupramm of Salzburg around 870. However, this church burnt down in the 11th century and the Romanesque basilica complete with three naves and two towers was erected in its place. The Bishop's Palace was formed by the buildings built around the cathedral in the coming centuries.
The origins of the Bishop's Palace goes back to the 12th century. Its first resident was the Frankish Bishop Bonipert, while the second one was the Hungarian Bishop Mór. Later on, in the 15th - 16th century, it was reconstructed in Renaissance style, while Bishop György Klimó had it rebuilt entirely between 1751 and 1770. The second storey was added to the north and east wings, while the south wing was extended. The façade was remodelled to a uniform Baroques style. Between 1838 and 1852 the eastern façade was also rebuilt and this is when it gained its neo-Renaissance style. The six Renaissance windows of the south wall were discovered in 1965. The façade of the two-storey section towards Dóm square is ornamented by forceful ledges and wooden columns. There is a balcony with a balustrade between the two gates. To the left of the entrance stands the statue of Imre Varga commemorating the Pécs concert of Franz Liszt.
The Bishop's Palace maybe visited on every Thursday during the summer months. You may visit the parlour, the waiting room, the private chapel, the private library, the dining room, the conference room and the Habsburg room.