The church named after St. Francis Xavier was built in 1739 by the Jesuits, replacing a chapel already standing in the 17th century. The single-nave building's facade is Rococo, its tower has an onion-dome. From the original furniture the only surviving part is the Rococo pulpit. Originally a Roman Catholic chapel, now used by Orthodox Catholics.
St. Francis Xavier was the founder of the Jesuit mission but he was also the most significant missionary in the modern age, attracting thousands of people to join him in the mission. The nobleman of Basque origin used to study at the university in Paris since 1530 and answering to the call of God he repressed all his earthly desires and joined the society of St. Ignatius Loyola, pledging poverty and purity. He became a priest in Venice in 1537. He roamed the Far East from India to Japan in Christian missions. Less than fifty years after his death, St. Francis Xavier was beatified by Pope Paul V. In 1622 Pope Gregory XV canonized him. In 1748, Pope Benedict XIV made him patron saint of India and the entire Far East. In 1927 he was designated Patron of all Missions by Pope XI. St. Francis Xavier is now the patron saint of the missionary church.