One of the most beautiful and significant buildings of Pécs is the Postal Palace of Jókai street. Its façade is an eclectic work of art. Apart from the statues and the French Renaissance ornaments Secession also appears in the shapes of the windows and the flower inlays of the side façade. The painted coat of arms that refers to the postal functions of the building, the reliefs and the roof tiles were made in the Zsolnay factory. In 1885, Pécs was the second city after Pozsony (Bratislava) to open a telephone exchange centre in Hungary. There were plans for the construction of a post office where all the functions could be taken care of as early as 1896. Until then money and mail handling, the coach-post, the operation of the telegraph and the telephone services were all based in different buildings. The location of the appropriate land took years. A public tender was announced in 1901 for the construction of the Palace and was won by Ernő Balázs. The construction of the headquarters that are still fully operational today was finished in 1904.