The building was built by Paulite friars between 1741 and 1756 using the stones of a Turkish mosque. The plans were created by a Paulite friar, Máté Vépi. The late Baroques church was first dedicated to the Holy Trinity. The towers were added between 1778 and 1779. Following the 1786 suppression of the Paulite order the building was standing abandoned until 1832. Its furnishings were shared among other churches of the diocese. Bishop Ignác Szepessy started to use the building again, he established a school (a so-called Lyceum) in the monastery while he reopened the church in order to provide religious services for the youth. When the Elizabeth University moved to Pécs from Pozsony (Bratislava), the church was designated as a university church. Around 1930 the interior was repainted, these frescos are the works of the Pécs painter Ernő Gebauer. The Baroques building of the former Paulite monastery is adjoined to the church, a secondary school called Széchenyi Gimnázium is based here today. The church was returned to the care of the Paulite order in 1997.