FERENC MARTYN (Kaposvár, 1899 - Pécs, 1986) was a sculptor, painter, graphic artist, and illustrator. A defining figure of Hungarian creative art, he was a trend-setter and organiser in the artistic life of South West Hungary. Before World War II, he spent many years in Paris, and travelled across Western Europe: he built connections, and thoroughly familiarised himself with the latest in avant-garde efforts. After the war, he became one of the most important representatives of Hungarian nonfigurative art, which reached its most mature form in his work. In 1984, a permanent exhibition of his work was opened at Somogy County Museum, in his native Kaposvár. A catalogue of his life's work was published in 1985, edited by his monographer, Éva Hárs. He died in Pécs, on 10 April 1986. A memorial museum is opening at 6 Káptalan Street, the house that served as his home and workshop in the last decades of his life, where the works he had donated to the city and Janus Pannonius Museum will be on display. In 2011, the museum will relocate to 4 Káptalan Street as a permanent exhibition, offering a never-before-seen comprehensive cross-section of Ferenc Martyn's work as a painter and sculptor.