The Tivadar Csontváry-Kosztka exhibition opened in 1973 at 11 Janus Pannonius Street. Csontváry-Kosztka was born in 1853 in Kisszeben (now Sabinov, in Slovakia). He worked first as a shop assistant, then as a pharmacist. At the age of 41, he was inspired by an inner voice to take up studying art in Germany and France. He travelled across Europe, a fact that is reflected in his work. He worked for no more than a decade and a half, and created only around a hundred works of art, and yet he is one of the most outstanding representatives of modern Hungarian painting. His paintings were to be auctioned off after his death, but architect Gedeon Gerlóczy recognised the value of work, and saved it for posterity. Csontváry-Kosztka is one of the great universal post-impressionists. His exhibited works include early studies, portraits, episodes from the Bible, and landscapes, including the huge Baalbek and The Tar Stream at Tatra. One of his most famous works, The Lonely Cedar, is another pride of the collection.