The building of number 12, Széchenyi square was built in a late-Baroque style in the 18th century. The Archaeological Museum is based here since 1922. The first records relating to the land are from 1687. The house of Ibrahim Csór Turkish agha was given to the Jesuits who established a secondary school here. In 1722 the German school of the town was also placed in the same building as the Jesuit Gimnasium. Following 1773 when the Jesuit order was dissolved the building became private property. The rich material of finds in the archaeological exhibition introduces the history of southeast Transdanubia from the prehistoric ages until the Hungarian conquest. Models, plentiful burial artefacts make the museum even more interesting.
The most outstanding artefacts of the Museum are the stone age Madonna from Zengővárkony, a bird-shaped pot from the bronze-age found in Zók and the findings from the ancient burial grounds of the Jakab hill. People of a late-bronze age culture settled on Jakab hill around 1.000 BC. Due to their
peculiar burial customs, archaeologists named them the people of the "urn-field culture". They cremated their dead and placed the urn containing the ashes of the deceased into a grave dug where the funeral pyre was, while next to the urn they placed foods, drinks and various tools. A burial chapel or a stone mound was erected over the graves.
The courtyard of the Museum houses the collection of Roman tombstones and sarcophagi found during the excavations in the town.