The oldest museum of the county, which was founded in 1898, shows the history of the lake most completely in the region. At the beginning the museum worked as a museum society led by the district administrator Árpád Csák and the professor Sándor Lovassy. The archeological, natural historical and ethnograpic collections were the first units in the material of museum. The construction of the museum began in 1925, the first exhibition was opened in the newly built palace in 1937.
The collections, completed with units of history, fine arts and applied arts are including nowadays 380 000 objects and the scientific library serve as a goldmine for the researchers dealing with regional history.
There are arranged 5-6 seasonal exhibitions in a year in the great hall upstairs and in the other exhibition rooms on the ground-floor, mainly in artistic and historical themes.