The College was established in 1538. With its 600.000 pieces, the Library of the College is the greatest such collection of the Hungarian Reformed Church. Among the Bible collection of the College we can find and read the Holy Script in 250 languages. The Archives currently contain 2.605 running metres of documents, which introduce the history, spiritual life and education system of Eastern Hungary as well as the culture-history of Debrecen. The greatest acquisition of the mineralogy section is the 33.000 piece collection of Pál Szőnyi, the most well-known piece of which is the meteorite that hit ground near Kaba in 1857. In 1831 the coin collection already had more than 6.000 pieces. Permanent exhibitions of the collection: school history exhibition, ecclesiological exhibition (with the works of art of goldsmiths: church goblets and bread bowls).
The building that hosts a school that educated several great personalities of Hungarian culture and art, is one of the most distinguishing features of Debrecen. The building is in the Neo-Classical style.