The library started to operate in 1904. When it was founded, the stock material - comprised of 33000 volumes taken over from the City Statistical Office - basically included books of social science. There were demographic, statistical, administrative and sociological books. Ervin Szabó (the social scholar), who was the first director of the library, had a significant role in the formation of national sociology. He consistently developed the inherited material to a modern collection of sociology and social sciences.