The Medieval Jewish Prayer House is located in the northern part of the Buda Castle District, in Táncsics utca. The tiny Sephardic prayer house was just one of many Jewish places of worship in the area. During the 150-year long Turkish rule in Hungary, many synagogues and Jewish family houses were built here, as Jews held important positions in trade with the Turks. Unfortunately, nearly all of these buildings were destroyed during the 1686 siege of Buda and the persecution of Jews that followed. The prayer house was rebuilt from its ruins at the beginning of the 18th century as a residential house, and its original function was only revealed during an excavation project in the 1960-s. Nearby excavations unearthed a larger synagogue's keystone nearby; the items found there are part of the prayer house's collection today (tombstones with Hebrew inscriptions and carvings).