Farmers and craftsmen of the old town of Sopron used to live in a quarter in the outskirts of the town protected by an outer city wall. Taking a walk in Balfi, Bécsi, Fövényverem or Halász streets, one still feels the special atmosphere of the former craftmen’s district. The Bakery Museum is located in the building of the oldest bakery in town. The stone trade-sing of lions breaking a piece of pretzel indicate the function of the house and the profession of the owner(s). Between 1686 and 1970, the owners of the house were bakers. After that, the City Council decided to open an exhibition in the building, keeping the entire interior untouched and to demonstrate the history of bakery and the life of craftsmen durint past centuries.
The museum is the completely restored home, bakery and shop of a bread and pastry maker, and contains some interesting gadgets and work-saving devices. The actual bakery can be found in the right wing of the house. In the heating room there is a huge furnace while the baking room accommodates a kneading vessel, leavening cabinets and dough-baskets. The former flour storeroom was transformed into a sweet shop at the end of the 19th century, in keeping with the needs of Sunday afternoon walkers. Because the master was not allowed to leave the workshop for longer periods even during the night shift, a small wooden chamber was separated for him to take short naps. The room facing the street used to be the bakery shop. It was later divided into two to form a sweet shop. The interior of the sweet shop is original, too. The baker’s home can be accessed from the right side of the arched gateway. Its furniture exhibits the typical interior design and way of life of craftsmen and farmer families in the 19th century.