The synagogue was built by the neologian Israelite congregation between 1868 and 1870 in neo-Romanesque style, with an octagonal plan. The church interior is breath-taking with its circular balconies and the dome even in its present condition. It served as pattern for a number of significant European synagogues at the time of late historism. The partially restored building has been the location of various cultural events since 1990. It is planned to turn to a conference-and cultural centre in the near future.