Most European capitals are bustling towns, with heavy traffic, and motorists find it increasingly challenging to find a place to park their cars safely. Budapest is no exception. Below you will find useful information on how and where to park your car in Budapest.
Budapest is sectioned into several parking zones, and different hourly fees for parking are charged depending on which zone you park your car in (between HUF 175 and 525).
In the territory of Budapest, there is a charge for parking between 8 am and 6 pm on working days.
From different areas of Budapest for payment: On Grand Boulevard and within the Danube area, full District V. and parts of District VI., VIII. and IX. between 8 am and 6 pm.
The minimum parking time is 15 minutes, after which the ticket machine prints a ticket for the period of time equivalent to the sum of money inserted. The maximum waiting time varies from 3 to 4 hours, although there are certain districts that do not impose waiting time restrictions (districts I., VI., VII., VIII. and XIII.).
For longer periods, it is advisable to leave your vehicle in a P+R car park. P+Rs are generally found at underground stations and bus terminals. (Pest side of Árpád Bridge, Nagyvárad Square, Örs vezér Square, Népliget etc.), from where commuters can then easily access public transport for the rest of their trip.
Cars parked illegally (e.g. without paying, or where it is forbidden to park) will be clamped by the Municipal Public Roads Department. All cars fitted with a wheel clamp will also have an information sheet in several languages stuck to the windscreen to inform the driver on how to go about having the clamp removed.
For more information on parking charges and other conditions visit www.parking.hu or www.budapest.hu.
Car parks and garages
Multi-storey car parks are open 24 hours a day; most larger hotels also have an underground garage.
Some of the larger car parks:
- Reáltanoda street Car Park (V., Reáltanoda u. 5. szám)
- Bazilika Garage (V., Sas utca),
- Krisztina Garage behind the Hotel
- Mercure Buda (I., Kosciuszko Tádé utca 15),
- Kastrum (V., Aranykéz utca 4-6),
- Centrum Parkoló (V., Szervitatér 8),
- Corvin Multi-storey Car Park (VIII., Futó utca 52),
- Páva Multi-storey Car Park (IX., Mester utca 30-32).
- Lipót Garage (V., Széchenyi Street under Szabadság Square),
- Erzsébet Square underground garage (V., Erzsébet Square),
- MOM Park Office Building (XII., Csörsz utca 45),
- Millennium Office Towers (IX., Lechner Ödön fasor 6).