The mosque established by pasha Yakovali Hassan was built in the second half of the 16th century, outside the Szigeti gate of the town. During renovation, the mosque was refurnished according to its original purposes. This is the only Turkish age mosque in Hungary that remained intact together with its minaret. The mosque has a square floor-plan, its dome is octagonal. The minaret is standing on the northeast corner, while the mosque itself is oriented towards southeast, towards Mecca.
Following the Turkish occupation, between 1702 and 1732, the Bishop of Pécs, Nesselrode reconstructed the mosque to be a chapel dedicated to Saint John of Nepomuk. He gave a Baroques fashion to the building from the outside and he had a choir stand built on the inside. This is when the lobby was demolished and the chapel was connected with the then one-storey hospital building. The renovation of the mosque-chapel started in 1956. The same year the mosque was freed slightly from the grip of the neighbouring buildings, the Baroques additions were demolished and the original floor level was restored. Between 1971 and 1972 the remains of the one-time dervish monastery connected to the mosque complex was unearthed and the original entrance was reconstructed. During renovation, the mosque was refurnished according to its original purposes. This is the only Turkish age mosque in Hungary that remained intact together with its minaret. The mosque has a square floor-plan, its dome is octagonal. The minaret is standing on the northeast corner, while the mosque itself is oriented towards southeast, towards Mecca. The walls have Ottoman-style windows located symmetrically in two lines. The stone frames and the iron railings are copies of the original artefacts. The restoration was finished in 1975 and a permanent exhibition was opened using the artefacts donated by the Turkish government. Entering the main entrance, in the first room, a tableau introduces the lives and history of the dancing (mevlevi) dervishes operating the building complex. The maps tell the story of the Turkish occupation. You can observe Turkish weapons as well as the remains of Turkish architecture while Eastern braziery and pottery is also introduced at the exhibition. You can see magnificent examples of Turkish textile craftsmanship in the second room, just as well as artefacts and pictures concerning arts, music, literature and sciences. In the corridor leading to the original entrance of the mosque reproductions of paintings dealing with the scenes of the life of the Prophet Mohammed are on display. The furniture of the mosque corresponds with religious specifications, therefore the small Muslim community of the town uses the mosque regularly. There are prayer carpets in front of the mihrab, and candle holders stand on the two sides. The mimber (pulpit) is situated on the right of the mihrab, while the so-called kursu (preaching place) is on the left, these were made of rosewood. The renovation managed to uncover and preserve some of the original wall paintings and inscriptions of the mosque as well. A stand on the two sides of the entrance surrounded by a fence indicates the place of the women, these are also covered with carpets. Some of the old tombstones of the old Turkish cemetery are exhibited in the garden.
Find and book your accommodation in Budapest with the Budapest Hotel Service! Choose from our selection of hotels, pensions, hostels, apartments and other cheap accommodation in Budapest Hungary. Budapest hotel reservation with instant confirmation at discount internet rates!