The many times reconstructed building on the north side of Színház square (13 Király street) was used by the National Casino of Pécs from 1839. The famous Nick pub operated on the ground floor of the building until the reconstruction of 1895.
Two two-storey houses of General De Vorstein used to stand on the land in 1965. After 1737 an inn also operated here for a few years The glove maker Ferenc Ranolder's son János was born in the predecessor of this house in 1802 - he later became Bishop of Veszprém. In 1839 the building was bought by the National Casino of Pécs. A reconstruction followed and the façade was turned into a neoclassic style and the association moved in there the same year. The entire land was bought by the Casino in 1862. During the foundation works of the new Casino building in 1895 Turkish jars were discovered. The original plans were made by Ágoston Kirstein, however, as their elaboration would have been too costly, so the contractor Imre Schlauch revised them, and eventually an eclectic building was erected here in 1895.
Find and book your accommodation in Budapest with the Budapest Hotel Service! Choose from our selection of hotels, pensions, hostels, apartments and other cheap accommodation in Budapest Hungary. Budapest hotel reservation with instant confirmation at discount internet rates!