The neo-classic, late Baroque building of the canonical archives and presbytery was built in 1784 based on the plans of the famous architect Sartory. The building was extended in 1794 according to the directions of János Krammer. The crypt, the cellar and the storage rooms were situated in the basement. The flat of the bell-ringers was on the ground floor, just as well as the rooms of the two chaplains, the kitchen and the flat of the clerk. The archivist's study, the archives room and the library were situated on the ground floor. The connection with the Cathedral was secured by a multi-storey passage way. During the reconstruction the present presbytery, the building was connected to the archives from the south. During the restoration of the Cathedral, the clock was taken down from the tower and was placed in the pediment of this building. The construction was finished in 1800, this is when the square in front of the Cathedral was reorganised and the remains of the eastern city wall and the southeast corner tower were demolished.
The Cathedral forms a closed symmetrical space, an architectural unit, together with this building and the palace opposite. It is worth taking a look at the amazing wrought iron gate of the Episcopal crypt under the building of the canonical archives. The gate was made in 1747 and was relocated from the sacristy of the Cathedral.
Find and book your accommodation in Budapest with the Budapest Hotel Service! Choose from our selection of hotels, pensions, hostels, apartments and other cheap accommodation in Budapest Hungary. Budapest hotel reservation with instant confirmation at discount internet rates!