In the outskirts of the village Roman tombs and at the beginning of the century 2 frank-patterned iron lances were found from the 9th century. The first written memory is from 1279 when it was named Villa Chak. Later names Czak, Czaak also occurred. We also know its German Zackenbach and Croatian Caka names, although most of the population claimed to be Hungarian at the end of the last century. It was the estate of Németújváry family in the 13th and 14th centuries as part of St Vid castle then Rohonc. In 1405 Sigismund gave it to Miklós Garai. Since then it was ruled by owners of Rohonc: Jakab Morgenwerder, who was King Matthias’s artillery master, Baumkirchner family, then Batthyány family. The village was demolished several times during the 16th and 17th centuries. In 1573 it was burned down by marching soldiers, then after Bocskai-revolt 12 out of 17 houses were demolished. It had significant viniculture until the end of the 19th century when it was demolished by phyloxera epidemic. Although grape-vine was planted again, it never got its importance back again. Chestnut and fruit-growing, which had also been significant before, started to replace vine. In the place of the former St Peter and Paul’s church a new one was built in 1894 according to Ludwig Schöne’s plan. At the border of the village the cellars, which are under protection, are very interesting. These thatched buildings made up of wall plates were not used for storing wine, but rather chestnut and fruit. In this small village with a population of 230, more and more people buy weekend gardens because they have fallen in love with its fresh air and beautiful alpine environment.
Map & Route planner