Attractions in Pécs – Pécs sights

You will find detailed information to plan your stay in Pécs: churches, monuments, spas, caves, parks.

Pécs Attractions

Attractions

7625 Pécs, Tettye u. 14.
06-72-310-800
The oldest building of the Budai quarter. It is surrounded by a castle-wall-type barrier - by the wall of the former cemetery. The residents of the valley of the Tettye river built a one-navy church here as early as the 13th century. The originally Romanesque style All Saints Church was reconstructed in the 15th century in Gothic style. The ...
7621 Pécs, Szent István tér 14-18
+36 (72) 513030
ppkl@ordinariat.hu
+36 (72) 513031
The neo-classic, late Baroque building of the canonical archives and presbytery was built in 1784 based on the plans of the famous architect Sartory. The building was extended in 1794 according to the directions of János Krammer. The crypt, the cellar and the storage rooms were situated in the basement. The flat of the bell-ringers was on the ground floor, ...
7624 Pécs, Esze Tamás u. 2
The Barbican, the 15th century bastion with a circular floor plan used to belong to the wall system of the Bishop's Castle. Its construction is linked to the visit of General Pál Kinizsi, who came to the town in 1498. In the shadow of the Turkish threat the defence systems of castles and towns were strengthened all around the South. The Gothic-style gate ...
7623 Pécs, Szabadság u. 35.
06-72-314-638
petdan@t-email.hu
The church designed by Imre Schlauch was built in 1907. The furniture was created by Ferenc Keil, master joiner from Pécs. The oak pulpit was made after the pulpit of the Kálvin Square church in Budapest. The ornaments on the furniture represent the Holy Trinity. The organ of the church was made by József Angster and his son in Pécs. The congregation house ...
7632 Pécs, Siklósi út
06-72-321-976
In February 1932 the Roman Catholic Communities of Pécs published a call for proposals concerning the building of a cemetery chapel. The contract was awarded to Nendvitch Andor Jr. and Károly Weichinger. The plan and the budget was approved by diocesan bishop Ferenc Virág.The construction contract was awarded to construction entrepreneurs Ignác Gadó and ...
7621 Pécs, Széchenyi tér
The present shape of the neo-baroque, eclectic building was created in 1907, following a number of modifications. The carillon of the tower of the City Hall also contributes to the unique atmosphere of the central square of the town. You can listen to this on every hour on Széchenyi square. One of the ground floor offices of the building with an entrance ...
7601 Pécs, Színház tér 2.
It is worth carefully observing the upstairs façades of the surrounding buildings when walking along Király street: you may see richly decorated windows and rosettes. The church and monastery of the Dominican order used to stand on the land of 2 Szinház square. The construction of the church started in 1724, however, the works were not yet finished in 1768. ...
7627 Pécs, Dömörkapu
Dömörkapu is the resting place on the South-Eastern slope of the Misina, the junction of several tourist routes. Its name is of Turkish origin, it means "Iron gate" or "Fortified passage".As you proceed to the gate, you will find the Szaniszló-rest along the road, where a black marble table in the stone wall says: "Dedicated to the memory of Dr. Szaniszló ...
7621 Pécs, Király u. 13.
The many times reconstructed building on the north side of Színház square (13 Király street) was used by the National Casino of Pécs from 1839. The famous Nick pub operated on the ground floor of the building until the reconstruction of 1895.Two two-storey houses of General De Vorstein used to stand on the land in 1965. After 1737 an inn also operated here ...
7625 Pécs, Havihegyi út 7.
06-72-310-800
Main attractions of the Southern slopes of the Mecsek are Misina with the TV-tower and the Boldogasszony-chapel on Havihegy. The chapel was built above the town in Baroque style to commemorate the plague of 1690. The residents of Pécs vowed to bring the materials up to the hill and they did so. In 1710 the sanctuary was expanded. In August 1780 the interior ...
7621 Pécs, Széchenyi tér
The Schönherr merchant family of Pécs had an exclusive inn built on Széchenyi square in 1846. The hotel was addressed to the Nádor, or the Palatine of Hungary, which was the highest feudal administrative rank of the country before 1848. The new establishment had thirty rooms and a café. The curiosity of the inn was that the dome of the restaurant could be ...
7621 Pécs, Munkácsy utca 8
The cultural institution of the German minority of Hungary, Lenau House is situated in the classicist building of 8 Munkácsy street. In the garden, the statue of Ferenc Trischler commemorates the deportation of the ethnic German Swabians. The large Gothic walls and a number of crypts of the one-time Dominican church and monastery were unearthed on the south ...
7621 Pécs, Dischka Győző u. 6.
06-72-516-331
pecs@lutheran.hu
The Lutheran church at 4-6 Dischka Győző street was built in early eclectic style according to the plans of János Baldauf in 1875. The simple, so-called room temple has a multiangular sanctuary addition. The façade allows for the construction of towers at a later date. The church situated in a small garden as well as the minister's residence form a harmonic ...
7625 Pécs, Király u. 44.
06-72-515-425
The building was built by Paulite friars between 1741 and 1756 using the stones of a Turkish mosque. The plans were created by a Paulite friar, Máté Vépi. The late Baroques church was first dedicated to the Holy Trinity. The towers were added between 1778 and 1779. Following the 1786 suppression of the Paulite order the building was standing abandoned until ...
One of the most beautiful buildings in the Mecsek is the Mecsek-gate. If you go up the Hunyadi János út, you will see it on the right-hand side of the road after the Pauline church. The arched natural-stone building was built by the municipality of Pécs in 1936, following the design of Gyula Kőszeghy. It was renovated in 2001. The gate is like a small ...
7621 Pécs, Szent István tér 8.
06-72-513-052
garadnay@pphf.hu
The Our Lady Church of the Female Order of Notre Dame is located on the south of Szent István square. The Catholic church dedicated to Virgin Mary was built in 1727 in Baroque style. It was rebuild in romantic style between 1851 and 1854. The church later was connected to the old convent building built in neo-classic style between 1847 and 1851. The ...
7625 Pécs, Hunyadi János u. 72.
06-72-515-425
The Pauline Church is one of the most beautiful modern Hungarian architectural masterpieces because of its architectural principles and the way it serves the Christian liturgy. It was built in 1937 following the design of Károly Weichinger. In those years, architects made serious attempts throughout the country to renew religious architecture. The Pauline ...
7624 Pécs, Ifjúság útja 8.
06-72-314-715
The Pius church (also known as Heart of Jesus) was constructed between 1927 and 1930 following the design of Gáspár Fábián. It is one of the most beautiful modern time churches in Pécs. The two-tower church raises high above the trees and buildings of the street in front of it. Its walls are white inside, providing a monumental sensation of space. The ...
7621 Pécs, Jókai utca 10
One of the most beautiful and significant buildings of Pécs is the Postal Palace of Jókai street. Its façade is an eclectic work of art. Apart from the statues and the French Renaissance ornaments Secession also appears in the shapes of the windows and the flower inlays of the side façade. The painted coat of arms that refers to the postal functions of the ...
7624 Pécs, Alkotmány u. 46.
06-72-328-793
The church named after St. Francis Xavier was built in 1739 by the Jesuits, replacing a chapel already standing in the 17th century. The single-nave building's facade is Rococo, its tower has an onion-dome. From the original furniture the only surviving part is the Rococo pulpit. Originally a Roman Catholic chapel, now used by Orthodox Catholics.St. Francis ...
7621 Pécs, Kossuth tér
06-72-315-881
The famous Jewish School of Pécs and the still operational Romantic style Great Synagogue were finished after four years of construction on the 22nd of July 1869. Their designers, Frigyes Feszl (his most well known works include the buildings of the Pest Vigadó and the sanctuary dome of the Dohány street synagogue of Budapest), Károly Gerster and Lipót ...
7621 Pécs, Ferencesek u. 35.
The longest surviving Turkish bath of Pécs, the bath of Pasha Memi, was only demolished in 1880. It was unearthed and conservated in the 1970s and was opened to the public with the addition of an exhibition of historic artefacts.Turkish notabilities, as they were not really allowed to collect earthly goods according to their religion, either used up their ...
7624 Pécs, Szent István tér 23
King Saint Stephen established the Bishopric of Pécs in 1009. It must have been an important factor in selecting the venue that a church used to stand here earlier that had been consecrated by Bishop Liupramm of Salzburg around 870. However, this church burnt down in the 11th century and the Romanesque basilica complete with three naves and two towers was ...
7621 Pécs, Mária u. 9.
The Europe House is located at 9 Mária street. The two storey building was built in eclectic style for one hundred thousand forints in 1895 according to the plans of a Viennese architect ordered by the Danube Steamshipping Company. The decorative entrance is a dominant part of the building, its statues symbolize mining and shipping. Earlier the directorate ...
7621 Pécs, Szent István tér 14.
06-72-513-052
garadnay@pphf.hu
The façade of the Cathedral as we know it today was finished during the reconstruction of 1882-1891. It has preserved its medieval floor plan, the post-Romanesque-style interior and exterior.The last internal and external restoration of the Cathedral took place between 1962 and 1968The history of the Cathedral starts during the reign of the Roman empire. ...
7621 Pécs, Széchenyi tér 5.
06-72-321-976
The south side of Széchenyi square is completed by the church and monastery of the Hospitaller Brothers. The majority of the building complex was rebuilt in an eclectic style in 1887-1891, however, most of its furnishing is Baroque. In 1908 Ede Graits painted copies of Tiepolo-paintings on the vault of the church. The facade of the church is divided into ...
7625 Pécs, Ágoston tér 1.
06-72-310-800
The mediaeval church was transformed to be a mosque by the Turkish. Following the Turkish era the building was given to the Augustine friars and they started the reconstruction in 1702. It was again rebuilt after the fire of 1750. The polygonal, arched sanctuary, the vaulted chapel adjoining from the south, the organ loft and the tower were built at this ...
7621 Pécs, Széchenyi tér
The eclectic four-storey building of the present County Hall stands on the lower west side of Széchenyi square. The County Hall was erected on two grounds where the houses of the Czyndery and the Cséby families once used to stand. The Emperor Joseph II. stayed in the Czyndery house during his 1770 visit. The building was bought by the Pécs-Baranya Central ...
7624 Pécs, Ferencesek u. 37.
06-72-313-565
The first reference to the Franciscans in the town takes place in a document from 1280. The church in its present form is eclectic and shows the results of the reconstruction of 1925. However, its basis is medieval and Baroques. The Turkish reconstructed the mediaeval church into a mosque. According to the descriptions of the Turkish traveller Evlia Cheleby ...
7623 Pécs, Rákóczi út 2
The mosque established by pasha Yakovali Hassan was built in the second half of the 16th century, outside the Szigeti gate of the town. During renovation, the mosque was refurnished according to its original purposes. This is the only Turkish age mosque in Hungary that remained intact together with its minaret. The mosque has a square floor-plan, its dome ...
7621 Pécs, Hunyadi János u. 4.
06-72-321-976
The Turkish demolished the gothic church of St. Bartholomew originally built in the mid-13th century on the main square of the town. The stones of the old church were used to build a mosque according to the instructions of pasha Gazi Kaseem who led the Turkish army occupying the town in 1543. Pécs was liberated from Turkish rule after nearly one and half ...
Bishop György Szatmári had his one-storey, U-shaped Renaissance summer Palace built in the middle of his forest range between 1505 and 1520. Between the wings of the building a courtyard open to the south was located and this was closed down by a tall stone wall. The landscape and the environment was a part of the architectural unit. It is possible that the ...
7624 Pécs, Jurisics M. u. 44.
In the second half of the 19th century, wealthy people of Pécs usually replaced their vine-houses on the Mecsek slope with stone houses, holiday homes. Most of them were Alpine style wood structure buildings. Some of them can still be seen from the steep streets of the Mecsek slope. The Villa Vasváry was built by one of the wealthiest merchants in Pécs, ...
7621 Pécs, Zrínyi Miklós u. 15.
06-30-659-5790
Christian churches were mostly destroyed or converted into mosques by the conquerors during the Turkish era, at the same time however, a Serbian Bishopric was established to cater for the needs of the large number of Serbian mercenaries serving in the ranks of the occupying army. During the Turkish occupation the Catholic clergy was to pay a tax to the ...
7624 Pécs, Szent Bertalan u.
06-72-313-565
Downhill from Dömörkapu, a steep slope takes you to the chapel named after St. Bartholomew. The chapel was built in 1794 in a late Baroque style, and rebuilt in 1828. The original Baroque main altar is also under protection of monuments. The church was built originally mainly for Bosnian winegrowers who moved here after the expulsion of the Turks. Hungarian ...
7624 Pécs Nyár u. 8.
The secluded monument of the suburbs, the Turkish mausoleum, the türbe of Idris baba is located on the territory of the children's hospital. Only little is known about the person lying in the mausoleum.Contemporary historians say that he was a fortune-teller, a miracle man, whose miraculous deeds got publicity and therefore he was respected as a holy ...
7630 Pécs, Zsolnay Vilmos utca 37.
72/507-600
porcelain@zsolnay.hu
72/507-604
The history of the Zsolnay Factory started in 1853. It was then that Miklós Zsolnay turned the hard tile manufactory at Lukafa into Zsolnay Hard Tile Manufactory. In 1854, he amended the incorporation documents, and transferred the company to his eldest son, Ignác. By the mid-1870s, the factory had a staff of between fifteen and twenty, and its development ...
7621 Pécs, Király u. 1
The building with the inscriptions “BAZÁR" at 1 Király street is the most spectacular example of Romatic-style architecture in Pécs. The three-storey building is connected to Széchenyi square by a glass-roofed shopping street. Vilmos Zsolnay ordered the plans from architects in Vienna and he had the house built in 1895. The building also provided the venue ...

Budapest hotel reservation

City:
Category:
Location:
Hotel name
Find and book your accommodation in Budapest with the Budapest Hotel Service! Choose from our selection of hotels, pensions, hostels, apartments and other cheap accommodation in Budapest Hungary. Budapest hotel reservation with instant confirmation at discount internet rates!


Debrecen – Events, Sights
Share Pin It
email