The official postal service of Hungary was founded in 1526 by Ferdinand the 1st. The first regular service was operated between Budapest and Vienna. Today, Hungary has nearly 3,200 post offices. The smallest settlements and villages are served by the MobilPosta service.
Post offices are generally open from Monday to Friday between 8 and 16 hours.
In Budapest, the post office opening hours vary, inquire about the website or in this telephone number: 06-40-46-46-46 (from Monday to Wednesday and on Friday 8:00 to 17:00, on Thursday 8:00 to 20:00 pm) .
Post offices open on Sunday in Budapest:
- II. Lövőház Street 1-5. (Mammut Post): Friday, Saturday and Sunday is open Monday from 8 to 20 hours between 9 and 14
- IX. Kálmán boulevard 12-14:. Monday to Friday from 10 to 20 hours, is open on Saturdays and Sundays between 10 and 14 hours
- XIV. Pillangó Street 15: from Monday to Sunday 0:00 am to 23:59 pm open
- XIX. Nagykőrösi Road 172 Monday to Friday it is open from 08:00 to 12:00 and 12:30 to 16:00 on Saturdays and Sundays from 8 to 14 hours
- XXII. Nagytétényi Road 37-43. (Hensel Post): Monday to Sunday from 10 to 20 hours
- XXIII. Shopping street 2-4. (Soroksar Auchan Post): Monday to Saturday, closed on Sunday between 8:30 and 8:30 pm on 16 and 19 hour open
All post offices offer encashment facilities for VISA, VISA Electron, Eurocard/Mastercard, and Maestro cards, as well as for Eurocheques and American Express traveller's cheques and Post Officel orders.