Hungary's official currency is the Hungarian Forint (HUF). There are a
number of places which accept Euros too, but the exchange rate merchants
tend to use is significantly lower than what one can get at a normal
exchange office ora bank. The HUF coins' denominations are 5, 10, 20, 50, 100 and 200, while the banknotes are HUF 500, 1000, 2000, 5000, 10000
ATMs and credit and debit cards
In Hungary you will find
a dense network of ATMs (cash machines) which will accept all major
credit and debit cards (Visa, MasterCard, Plus, Maestro, Cirrus and
others). The majority of shops and restaurants also accept cards.
Tips for visitors:
which a shop or restaurant accepts are usually displayed in the window
of the premises. If you don't see your card name there, ask before
purchasing anything whether your card will be accepted.
a few banks accepts travellers' cheques in Hungary and it good to make
inquiries about the details of cashing travellers' cheques in banks in
Detailed exchange rates between the forint and major international currencies and an exchange rate calculator can be found here.
- 1 kilo loaf of bread: 200-300 Ft / 0.8-1.2 EUR
- 1 liter milk: 190-240 Ft / 0.7-1 EUR
- 1 bottle of beer: 200 Ft / 0.8 EUR
- 1 bottle of table wine: 500-3000 Ft / 2-12 EUR
- Eating in restaurant: 3500-5000 Ft / 14-20 EUR
- Eating in fast food restaurant : 1000-1500 Ft / 3-5 EUR
- 1 litre of petrol / gasoline (octane 95): 450 Ft / 1.5 EUR
- High-speed internet per month: 6-12000 Ft / 24 - 28 EUR per month
- Taxi: 250-300 Ft /km / 1-1.2 EUR
- Cinema ticket: 1500 Ft / 5 EUR
- Museum entry fee: 500-1200 Ft / 2-5 EUR
- Pool entry fee: 1500 - 3500 Ft / 5 - 12 EUR
aren't usually left by guests on the table. Should you wish to tip
staff, add around 10% onto the bill or round it up. It's up to you what
sum you tell the waiter you wish to pay when he brings the bill. If you
say nothing, you will receive the exact change. If you say "Thank you"
when the waiter is giving you the change, he will understand that the
remainder has been left as a tip.